Sunday, November 27, 2016

Journal #7 - Professional Learning Networks

Upon reflection of my use of Twitter as a Professional Learning Network (PLN), I do not see this platform as a viable resource going forward. Honestly, I think I'm just stuck in my ways.  I gave Twitter a try, as well as Digg, but I had a hard time working them into my normal routine.  I enjoy reading articles online about interesting topics, or in magazines, and I frequently review news topics in LinkedIn as well.  I think part of me has a mental hurdle with separating Twitter from being a social medium, to using it as a professional collaboration tool.

Unlike many of my classmates, I am not a teacher.  My interests typically align with topics in Business & Finance, and Technology.  I find Twitter to only provide snippets of what I'm actually interested in learning, and I would prefer to read the whole drawn out article about a particular topic.  Thus leading me back to the online articles and magazines.

In addition, with Twitter not all of the information can be taken as fact.  You must invoke a thought of caution when reading Twitter feeds.  With published articles there is, or should be, some basic fact-checking before the article is published.  Professionally published articles cannot be written and posted on a whim, there is a process of fact-checking and editing involved before the article is published. With Twitter everyone, everything, every thought, every action, every mistake is published.

With so much noise being received we must solicit caution with the information absorbed, and thus it is better to err on the side of professionally published articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment